10.3.09

don't come and go, like you do

I heard the distinct sound of a sports car accelerating and nearly fell off the bed in haste. A second later, my phone rang and flashed a caller ID I thought I'd never see again. I didn't have enough time to register the amount of surprise and annoyance on my dad's face as I hurriedly delivered my version of asking for permission to go out and without waiting for an affirmative reply, I practically skipped my way out the back door of the building. And there he was- one hand on the steering wheel, looking all smug and wearing a smile I didn't realize I actually missed.

The night went by quite quickly, full of hesitations and missed chances- on my part at least. It wouldn't be right to assume that he thought the same, as I could never figure out what's going on in his head. My powers of perception are just lost on him. If that's fortunate or not, I'm not really sure. I always try to convince myself that there's nothing to figure out anyway, so why bother.

Sometimes, I can't help it though. Sometimes, as stupid as it may be, I want to figure it out. And then, as I realize that, I panic and run. I just wish he'd get why and not run in the other direction.

No comments: