Amsterdam Centraal was so not crappy-luggage-friendly. The station was housed in a magnificent 19th century building that had no escalators. I had no idea why we didn't see the lifts when we arrived though. They were in perfect view when we left. So anyway, there we were- Kuya dragging their huge luggage, I dragging my broken one, down two long flights of stairs to the exit. The station was very different from Düsseldorf Hbf- less dogs, more litter, and the place had a curious smell that I couldn't quite figure out (I would, a few hours later). The moment we stepped out, it really hit me that Düsseldorf was far far away. The activity outside the station was a bit startling, especially after spending two days in so much quiet. Trams were going to and fro, bikes were everywhere, cabbies were waiting restlessly for passengers, even the pigeons seemed more energetic here. And there were definitely more people.
Our cabbie was a Lebanese guy who was so delighted to find out we could speak basic Arabic. Maloum Arabiya? Wallah! Mabrook, mabrook! Katir helwa! He drove us across tram tracks, through lively alleys with quirky shops that advertised toys and magic mushrooms, all the while dodging reckless bikers zooming through knowing that in Amsterdam's streets, the bike is king.
Looking around, it was like stepping into a bedtime storybook. Bridges and canals filled with ferries were everywhere and the avenues were lined with elegant canal-houses that stood side by side as if watching some interesting show on the waters (Amsterdam is called the Venice of the North, and rightly so). Cobbled streets that squirmed through narrow passages lined with town houses (town buildings?) teemed with pedestrians going on their merry ways and fat pigeons taking their rest from flying. You would almost expect someone to break out into song with all that charm and liveliness. I think I almost did. :P
Our hotel was in one of those town buildings (I really don't know what to call them, sorry) along Stadhouderskade, a long street that also housed the Heineken Experience (which was closed due to renovation, sayang). The large window in my room framed a pretty view of a tree-lined canal with the ever-present bikers and dog-walkers.
After freshening up, we headed down to the Stadhouderskade tram station where a friendly and good-looking guy with one of the nicest smiles I've seen (is it obvious that I'm gushing here? haha) helped us figure out how to get to the Red Light District. If it were any other town, I'd have been embarrassed to ask for directions to that place, but heck, it was Amsterdam. And he was very helpful. The tram took a while to arrive, which wasn't really unfortunate, because it's not everyday that you get to make eyes and make smiles at a charming stranger and have him reciprocate. :D Too bad he got off at one stop ahead of ours, but not before giving me additional directions and smiling so gorgeously. I may have left my heart on that tram. Haha.
The Red Light District was interesting, to say the least. The place was filled with sex shops, sex theaters, cannabis shops, coffeeshops (these are different from cafes, because they serve marijuana and other soft drugs), and it even had a sex museum and a cannabis museum. Sex and drugs galore, yes. Surprisingly, it wasn't as shady as I expected it to be. You wouldn't be scared to walk around. It really was just like any other street, except with more red lights, and live window displays. But it was relatively safe. As the charming stranger said, "It's just like going to any block in the world. Don't go in dark alleys and take care of your stuff." After walking around for a bit, we went into a theater where we saw a LOT. Funny thing, in between "acts," they played Maroon 5's Songs About Jane album. Listening to that album will never be the same for me now. We decided to hang out at a coffeeshop afterwards, where I had hot chocolate and something else. Never thought I'd do it, but there's no place better to try than Amsterdam, right? :D
We headed back to the hotel after yet another meat and potato meal, tired and lightheaded from all that "exploring." It was funny to think how we started the day listening to the Angelus ringing, and ended it with one of us throwing up in a plastic bag. :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment