3.11.07

here comes the rain

It was drizzling this morning when I dropped him off at the airport. Dubai's first rainfall of the year- what perfect timing. Nature really is sympathetic sometimes. Or it could be just rubbing it in. I prefer to look on the bright side though, so sympathetic it is. Besides, I missed rain. Nature's just making me feel better by making today gray and gloomy.

It was a quick exchange. I ushered him in, gave him a big hug, reminded him to be good and safe, let me know when he gets home, etc. He said he's already looking forward to coming back here and I said, "likewise." No tears, just happy thoughts. Last night took care of the sentimental what nots, so this morning was all about being bright and shiny despite the circumstances and the weather.

We had a great month. October's always been a good month for us. We got back on track after some difficulty navigating some twisty rocky roads for quite some time. It just took a hug and a smile at the arrivals area, and boom, welcome back optimism. :) Walking in a tourist's shoes while holding his hand made me appreciate Dubai for the crazy, glittering, paradoxical city that it is, rather than hating it for same reasons, as I've been for the past few months. We both gained weight though. For some reason, togetherness is always fattening for us. :P Oh well.

It was weird coming home today without him greeting me at the door. I went in my room and found traces of his presence- the sofa bed still laid out, the toilet seat was up, his towel was still hanging on the rail, his perfume and gel were on the stool by the sink, a pair of shoes was left on the floor, a couple of shirts still inside the closet. He was probably thousands of miles away already, but somehow it still felt like he was here, welcoming me home. It was lonely and comforting at the same time.

Now, I'm back to counting down the days. Which is sad, in a way. But like any countdown, every day brings us closer to what we want- and that thought makes all the difference.

No comments: