20.9.07

rules schmules

I'm taking driving lessons. The RTA won't give you a UAE license if you don't sit the requisite 20 or 40 classes and exams, even if you've been driving for eons. I had to drive around the school track for a total of 4 hours, and now I have to drive around the industrial area for the remaining sessions. And I hate it. I hate the roundabouts, the hypocritical overstatement of rules that almost nobody cares about after they get their licenses, the annoying licensed ones who honk and bully you on the road just because you're driving a car with an "L" plate, the utter stupidity of it all, not to mention the hassle and the fact that I'm spending half my monthly salary to try to ignore my apparently bad driving habits and silently curse the the RTA and my instructor who only looks up from her mobile to tell me that I'm "doing it wrong, it's different here, it's not like the Philippines, you have to get used to it or you'll fail, blah blah blah." Argh.

***

Driving a car that has an extra break pedal isn't always fun. Sure, it's secure and all, because if you're about to hit something and you don't notice, but the other person does, then that extra pedal could save your life. But when you're happily accelerating and there are no apparent dangers, having someone stubbornly step on that pedal makes for a frustrating ride. No matter how hard you step on the gas, that extra break has all the power. It saves you, yes, but it could also render you helpless.

No comments: