My inner geek is getting very frustrated. Here I thought that the UAE is a tolerant and progressive country. But nooo, its effing ISPs have blocked the most important piece of internet technology in my life- Skype. And now, despite exerting all my geeky efforts and positively squeezing out all of my techie juices, Skype refuses to work. When I saw the tiny logo turn green, I almost jumped for joy, but alas, when I clicked the call option, the lovely screen where I usually see my beloved's face dimmed and an effing message read "no proxies found." WHY???!!!! I've used all the proxies, and to my inner geek's delight, I found that I can actually access blocked sites now, but why won't Skype budge???!!! Argghhh!!!
***
It's a day before Christmas eve and my nose has suddenly decided to turn runny. Great. I'll be sniffing all the way to Christmas morning. And it's not just me, 50% of the occupants of this apartment either have runny noses or itchy throats. We're like a stocking full of bacteria. How jolly.
***
The Dubai Shopping Festival is ongoing but I'm currently experiencing an uncharacteristic lack of enthusiasm to splurge. Could be attributed to the scarcity of parking spaces, or my stupid colds. So much for retail therapy.
***
And finally, there's that huge shadow of my mom's overdue news, which we should have learned about months ago. It could potentially reveal itself to be a very dark cloud that would be hard to push away if the worse that we're expecting turns out to be true, and I have no idea how to deal. How it would affect us, I don't know. What we could do about it, I don't know. I really don't know anything. And it's frustrating. And the weird thing is, I feel like I'm just watching myself be frustrated, at times feeling the enormous pang, but most of the time, numb.
***
Oh, it's such a happy holiday.
(Update: Skype is working!!! Woohoo!!! It's like a beautiful shining ornament on my empty Christmas tree :) )
24.12.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment