20.3.07

bows and cheesy birthday cards

It's his birthday tomorrow. Since I wouldn't be able to show up at his doorstep bearing balloons and a cake, I spent all night last night maximizing my pathetic gift wrapping talents. By 1am, I was covered in glue, ribbon shreds, wrapping paper and magic tape and nowhere near my desired outcome. My back was complaining, my hands were getting frustrated, I was close to screaming, and to add to the tangles of ribbons and paper around me, two of my friends were arguing online about the venue for a long-overdue coffee date and I could only insert incoherent comments and suggestions whilst figuring out how to do a perfect bow.

An hour later, with the help of my mom's trusty glue gun and some online tips, my gift was finally wrapped in a beautiful medley of blues and browns with perfect bows (if i do say so myself), a cute tiny pooch, and a lovely store-bought handmade card (my creativity could only accomplish so much, I had to buy the card) with an appropriately schmaltzy message. Yay.

This morning, my concerned mother woke me way too early because she worried that my "gift won't get there on time, it's already late, hala ka, sige ka, yada yada yada." When I finally get my ass off the bed, I see her reading my schmaltzy card and snickering, and so my grumpy self just couldn't resist yelling. She laughed and went on her merry way. I love her, and I really have to cut her some slack these days, but c'mon, she woke me up too early. I mean, seriously.

So off I went to the new shipping franchise at the next building. And bless them, they recognized my hard work and really went out of the way to make sure that my efforts at gift wrapping won't go to waste. They made a customized box and everything. How nice is that. I just hope they get the package delivered on time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like you put a lot of effort into it! From one presentation challenged person to another....

Ina said...

sweet :D